Registration is now open for school-based CPD workshops in 2018/19
CPD workshops for primary schools are now available. As places are limited to 150 schools for 2018/2019, please ensure that you have read all of the details below carefully and are able to fully commit to the CPD programme before registering your school below:
This initiative supports the enhancing of teacher capacity as outlined in Pillar 2 of the STEM Education Policy Statement.
Why choose DPSM/ESERO Continuous Professional Development?
The DPSM programme facilitates CPD in primary science by providing teachers with a Framework and planning tool for teaching inquiry-based learning and providing resources and classroom activity packs which can also be used by parents and students. DPSM partners with the European Space Education Resource Office (ESERO) and space themes are incorporated into the workshops, allowing us to use space to inspire our next generation of innovators.
This high impact CPD from DPSM can help your school to:
- Build teacher confidence and subject knowledge to effectively teach science through inquiry
- Ignite pupils’ spirit of inquiry through high quality science teaching
- Create a buzz about science throughout the whole school
- Understand the relevance of and be able to use space as a cross curricular theme in their planning and teaching.
*Source: Evaluation of the impact of DPSM/ESERO CPD Programme (with the assistance of St. Patrick’s College, DCU and the National STEM Centre, UK) shows that this CPD is having a positive impact on teachers’ practice and confidence in teaching Science.
Transform science teaching in your school!
What do you need to do?
To avail of this free CPD we are inviting your school to commit to this development programme for the school year. Your commitment consists of the following:
- Host three 2-hour CPD workshops for the whole staff over the school year (typically one per term). We can arrange for the CPD workshops to take place immediately after school as part of your "Croke Park" hours.
- There must be a minimum of 10 teachers participating. This criterion can be met by partnering with another school(s).
- The school should commit to achieving the overall objectives of the programme above.
- The school must participate in the Science Foundation Ireland Discover Science & Maths Awards to see how they can apply the learning.
- Teachers should be prepared to apply what they are learning from each session and report back at subsequent CPD workshops.
- Teachers will be asked to provide feedback and may be asked to participate in focus groups as part of our ongoing evaluation process.
Your commitment is Important
Please do not register unless your school is in a position to have all the teaching staff attend the three workshops. It is important that your school can meet the commitments above including the requirement of a minimum of 10 attendees for each of the three x two-hour workshops. Smaller schools can partner with other schools to meet the minimum 10 attendee requirement. SNAs are welcome to attend at the discretion of the principal. Places will be allocated on first come first served basis based to those schools who can commit to the requirements.
What happens next?
Places will be allocated on first come first served basis based to those schools who can commit to the requirements.
We will contact successful schools to arrange the date of the first workshop date and we will assign one of our trained DPSM facilitators to your school. Dates for workshops 2 and 3 can be arranged directly with your assigned facilitator.
Resources and Support available at the CPD Sessions
- Hands-on school-based workshops (3 x 2 hours which are done as part of your planning day or your Croke Park hours).
- Professional development and support for effective and engaging Science teaching. Dedicated websites, such as this one and www.esero.ie, providing access to hundreds of science activities and classroom ideas.
- Explanations of how these activities link to the curriculum and skills.
- Access to a network of Discover Centres offering approved Science and Maths tours to schools.
Testimonials from Teachers
“I found this course really beneficial. I liked how practical and easy to implement the ideas were. I also really liked how inexpensive the resources for the experiments are.”
“I was nervous about teaching science before I did this course, but I can’t wait to let the children investigate and work together- all I need to do is give them the resources.”
“The course proved invaluable to our school as it helped us to focus our school policy on science in a way that we efficiently covered all the strands across the science curriculum. We were inspected in our teaching of science during these workshops and our participation stood to us very well.”
"It showed us how to do science; they made it simple, straight forward and fun"
"They were well prepared, receptive to questions and incredibility enthusiastic and informative"
One year after participating in the CPD, teachers stated:
“The children are more confident to figure things out for themselves and not being told by the teachers”
“The children are confident to use what they already know in order to attempt to problem solve”
“They have become much better at testing and ensuring a fair test where possible”
“They’re better at group work – working as a team”